Facts, Your Car & Money
The FBI reports there were an estimated 699,594 motor vehicle thefts nationwide in 2013. In 2012, a small increase in vehicle thefts ended a consecutive eight-year run of decreasing thefts. Source
Industry observers caution that thieves constantly devise new and sophisticated means of stealing autos. Tactics include acquiring smart keys, which eliminated hot-wiring to steal cars; switching vehicle identification numbers; and using stolen identities to secure loans for expensive vehicles.
According to the FBI, a motor vehicle is stolen in the United States every 44 seconds.
Follow the Money
Beyond the emotional stress and disruption to your daily and work related activities, there are significant financial costs that you may incur if your vehicle is stolen.
- According to the FBI, although 75% of respondents know that there are costs associated with vehicle theft in addition to paying the insurance deductible and the cost of replacing the vehicle that are not covered by insurance, virtually none knew that there are additional costs such as insurance premium increases, the cost of time spent dealing with police, vehicle rental costs, and the cost of time off from work.
* The survey was conducted by Opinion Research Corporation.
The Most Popular Vehicles Stolen
|Rank||Make & Model||Total Stolen in U.S.|
|3||Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)||27,809|
|4||Ford Pickup (Full Size)||26,494|
|6||Dodge Pickup (Full Size)||11,347|
|8||Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee||9,272|
The Types of Locations at Highest Risk
Living in urban and higher crime areas has an impact on your risk of being a victim of auto theft. Port and border cities continue to be boomtowns for the auto theft business. Of the top 25 metro areas in the nation for vehicle theft, nearly half are ports or communities with easy access to borders (*National Insurance Crime Bureau, or NICB). The NICB study compares the auto theft rates per 100,000 population in 380 metro areas.
City-by-city differences in auto buying habits are reflected in the preferences of auto thieves. For example, American vehicles tend to be the auto thief’s vehicles of choice in Detroit and Chicago; pickups are popular in Albuquerque, Phoenix and Houston; and Japanese models lead the most commonly stolen list in Los Angeles.
Discounts that Matter
We all like to save money, and installing an Apex Protect GPS unit on your vehicle, is likely to get you a discount on your vehicle insurance.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, eleven states: Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Rode Island, and Texas have regulations that require insurers to provide vehicle owners with discounts on the base rates for comprehensive insurance for vehicle tracking GPS devices. In the majority of other states, many insurers offer these discounts or are encouraged to offer them. When you notify your auto insurance company, be sure to tell your agent that you have a dealership installed GPS stolen vehicle recovery system. Make sure they know that, in the event of a theft, your device comes with a 24/7/365 toll free stolen vehicle recovery assistant that will communicate directly with police to ensure rapid recovery of your stolen vehicle.
Insurance Companies that purport offering Anti-Theft Discounts:
- 21st Century Insurance up to 15%
- AAA Insurance up to 18%
- AIG Insurance up to 15%
- ALFA Insurance (AL) up to 10%
- All State up to 10%
- Farmers Insurance up to 15%
- Fireman’s Fund up to 5%
- Geico up to 10%
- Georgia Farm Bureau Ins. (GA) up to 15%
- Liberty Mutual up to 25%
- Mercury Insurance up to 30%
- Nationwide Insurance (CA) up to 10%
- Progressive Insurance up to 15%
- Safeco Insurance up to 10%
- State Farm up to 30%
- USAA Insurance up to 33%
- According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, discount percentages vary by state and not all applicants will qualify.
- Percentages are based on comprehensive coverage only, and may vary.
We Are Here to Help
Want to schedule a demonstration, need technical support, have a question?
Feel free to contact us about any of our GPS vehicle management products or solutions.